Our Latest News
- Alcoholic beverages
- Chocolate (dark or cocoa powder in small quantities, semi-sweet, milk chocolate in large quantities)
- Coffee (grounds, beans, chocolate covered espresso beans)
- Mouldy or spoiled foods
- Fatty foods
- Grapes and raisins
Ingestion of any food that your pet is not used to can cause intestinal inflammation with a resulting vomiting and diarrhoea. Those mentioned above are specific toxins that may cause more life threatening conditions in your pet.
Festive season plants to avoid
Lilies found in Christmas flower arrangements can be deadly to your cat. Many types of lily, such as Tiger, Asian and the Stargazer can cause acute kidney failure in cats.
Poinsettias generally have low toxicity. If ingested, poinsettias irritate the mouth and stomach, causing mild vomiting or nausea.
- Mistletoe can have a cardiovascular (heart and blood vessels) toxic effect. More commonly, however, mistletoe ingestion usually causes gastrointestinal upset.
- Holly ingestion can cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhoea and lethargy.
Please phone us for advice in all cases to ensure that your pet does not need emergency veterinary care.
Hazards around the christmas tree
Christmas tree water often contains fertilizers, that, if ingested can cause stomach upsets. Stagnant tree water can have an extremely high bacterial content, which can cause vomiting, nausea and diarrhoea if ingested.
- Electric cords should be hidden or covered safely. If they were chewed, they could electrocute your pet - especially important for house rabbits.
Ribbons or tinsel can get stuck in the intestines of dogs and cats and cause intestinal obstruction if ingested.
Batteries contain corrosives. If ingested they can cause serious ulceration to the mouth, tongue and intestines.
- Glass ornaments can cut the tissues of the gastrointestinal tract if ingested.