This beautiful Dachshund Vaggy has been receiving treatment for a disease called Leishmania.
Leishmania is caused by a parasite that is found in warmer climates – this little pup unfortunately contracted the disease abroad in Cyprus. It has a wide variety of clinical signs, but the most obvious signs here were the skin lesions!
The course of treatment is long (well over a year) but we are pleased with his progress so far – you can see how well his skin is looking at the moment with a photo before and a photo after treatment.
If you are thinking about taking your pet abroad, do speak to one of our veterinary surgeons who will be able to answer any questions you might have. There are diseases abroad that could be fatal to your pet.
We look forward to seeing Vaggy again soon for his next recheck appointment!
Hope he’s ok – love this little guy!
More About Leishmaniasis
It is transmitted by the blood sucking sandfly that is found in the Mediterranean region – in this instance Cyprus.
Medication can cure the disease as in Vaggy’s case, as treatment is most effective when started before damage to the immune system occurs. Leishmaniasis is often fatal within two years if it’s not treated properly.
People cannot get Leishmaniasis directly from their pets. Instead, the disease spreads through the bite of blood-sucking sand flies. A fly bites an infected pet or stray dog and takes in the parasite with its meal of blood. Leishmaniasis is classed as a zoonotic disease ie. it can affect humans.
To prevent bites from sand flies, it is important to protect your pet abroad with the use of a special collar such as Scalibor.
We are so proud of our Vet of the Year Finalist Ben at the Petplan Vet Awards 2020
We want to reassure our clients that according to all experts’ opinion and science COVID19 virus spread from human to human and animals do not spread it
We will no longer be able to do routine appointments or vaccinations. Please note that these are within RCVS and government guidelines